Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I've Had Better Days

My grandfather was the quintessential engineer.  He was also a professor, and his daily wardrobe - without fail - consisted of a white dress shirt, sporting a pocket protector, and a pocket full of writing implements.  I've followed in his footsteps so far as pursuing the engineering profession, and I regularly carry a pen or two in my shirt pocket, but I've never gone so far as to get myself a pocket protector.  Today gave me pause when this happened:


I've been a practicing engineer for 11 years now, and it's safe to say that for every day I've gone to work wearing a shirt with a pocket I've had a pen in that pocket.  So that's at least 2,200 opportunities for a catastrophe like this to happen.  I guess I should feel fortunate that I've come so far without a mishap.  And I do.

But why couldn't I have been wearing a shirt that I don't like?  Maybe it's time to follow in grandpa's other footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment