Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Vanity, In Plate Form

I do not get why people find it worthwhile to put personalized plates on their car.  Even so, I do enjoy checking them out when I'm on the road.  It's fun to try to decode them, usually.  Occasionally you come across one that doesn't make any sense - I wonder about the people who pick plates that aren't understood by their apparent audience, namely me.  I mean, not just me, but if you're picking something to show to the general public, of which I am definitely a member, shouldn't they be able to understand it?

This wouldn't be such a big deal to me if it weren't for the fact that people are paying money for these things.  It's a relatively trivial amount, I suppose, but even so it seems like money wasted.  I mention all this because today I found another type of personalized plate that I find as bad as those that are incomprehensible.  In this case, however, the plate was the exact opposite of being hard to understand.

During my morning commute I found myself behind a car that looked something like this:

The Volkswagen GLI

As the caption indicates, this is a Volkswagen GLI.  And in the case of the car I saw this morning, it was sporting this personalized license plate:

VWGLI

What?!?  I'm already driving right behind you, where the manufacturer has clearly marked the car's make and model with chrome logos and lettering.  As seen in the photo, this is also true for anyone with a front-side view.  So why would you possibly want to spend any amount of money to duplicate that information for anyone in the vicinity of your vehicle?

Maybe this driver took some misguided advice from the Utah Department of Motor Vehicles:

Hello?  This does not tell me "why" to choose a personalized plate, just what to put on it!  Somebody should have explained to this driver that the DMV is only out to get more of your money.  You do not, in fact, have to take their advice.

I do not get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment